Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Three things leading to Christmas........

(1)Thanksgiving marks the beginning of a month-long celebration of family and all that is good. Some of our Thanksgiving traditions were started long ago when as I child I went with my family to my Uncle Howard and Aunt Rae’s home for Thanksgiving every year. Uncles, Aunts, cousins, and our Grandma and Grandpa Brown would all be there, too. Our numbers usually reached 40+.

Some traditions that carry on are the basketball free-throw shoot out, with hard cash being the prize for the winner in all three categories: Woman, children, and men. To see pictures of the winners, go to Lisa’s blog. The other Brown tradition is the family talent show.





(2)"Fiddler on the Roof" and a trip to Market Square in downtown Knoxville. We went with Julie, Allen, Lisa, and David. We first browsed the open market shops and looked in on the ice skating in the center of Market Square. Next came a yummy dinner at Café 4. But the main event was the stage production of “Fiddler on the Roof.” We had great seats and the production was flawless.

Dinner at Cafe 4-----------------------By the lights on Market Square


(3)Empty-nesters Christmas dinner. We hosted and think it went well. Good times; good friends. After dinner, a rousing round of “White Elephant” gift exchange took place. And so now it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas---we had tiny little flakes of snow that gathered for a nano-second on our decking.



Snow (?) arrived the morning of December 7

7 comments:

Lori said...

I love those first two shots from Thanksgiving! Happy people happily enjoying their happy festivities. With joy.

lisa said...

I love the traditions, and look forward to seeing my kids carry them on with their own kids some day.

joelb said...

Blizzard 2010!

nice post, mom.

joelb said...

speaking of empty nesters, is there some symbolism in the 6 birds flying from your nameplate up top there?

:]

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Joel, you are so observant. I hadn't even noticed that---but a nice new meaning to our nameplate top. :) Perfect. Thanks!

Brad said...

Last thankgiving I got to spend with mom and dad: 16 years ago. Looking forward to Christmas 2010, west side style!

Shaharac said...

Great pictures, I love the basketball tradition. I love this time of year, from Thanksgiving through New Years. I have been blogging again. Also, our blog is not blocked anymore if you want to add it to your list you should be able to. Hope you have a fabulous Christmas.